Pages

Saturday, 4 March 2017

Do You Need A New Toys?


Gear (sometimes) makes us mad. Deep inside, we like to dot our i’s and worry about the details. We’re told champions are made in that last 1 percent, and we'll be damned if we going to lose because we didn’t buy the right kind of tyres. The problem is this philosophy assumes we’ve already gotten the other 99 percent right. And you know what 99 percent of our race time comes from? Actually training.



The point of all our gadgets and gear and fancy equipment is to supplement and showcase our training. The devices should make you faster on race day after you’ve already trained. They should make it possible for you to train smarter so you can train harder, not so you can avoid work. That’s why heart rate-based training was revolutionary in its time, and why power meters took the idea another leap forward in cycling. Not because it allowed you to buy your way out of work, but because it allowed you to work more effectively and, in sum, harder. That makes you faster. Not the device itself. 

All that fancy très cher gear and equipment is only as good as its owner. Pro athlete is allowed to worry about the last 1 percent of details because they already nailed the other 99 percent. The rest of us haven’t yet. You don’t need that new bike. You don’t need new clothes or a new watch. You don’t need toys. You need to train. And if you are going to get some toys, be smart about it, do not show up on a ride with a GoPro and Bluetooth helmet but no power meter.


Source:
Triathlete magazine, 01/2017


Ride On!


2 comments:

angga said...

Sure don't need those new shiny bike and gadget, but it's really a hell lot of fun to have.

Decky Putra said...

Agree..:)